Don is the chief instructor of the National Sporting Clays Association and one of the most sought-after shooting coaches in our sport. Competing in the shooting sports since age 8 and instructing as an apprentice at age 16, Don is that rare combination of Champion, Instructor and Coach. Don regularly propels shotgun enthusiasts of all ages and experience levels to breakthrough performance whether in the field or in competition. His instructional DVD “Focus – Movement – Faith” is the #1 rated sporting clays DVD on Amazon.com.
Don Currie is the Chief Instructor of the National Sporting Clays Association (NSCA) and one of the most recognized and sought-after professional shotgun coaches and gun fitters in North America. He delivers extraordinary instructional and hunting experiences to clay target competitors, recreational shooters, and discerning sportsmen. Currie is the author of “Mastering Sporting Clays” published by Stackpole Books, has launched two highly successful instructional DVDs with Sunrise Productions: “Focus-Movement-Faith” and “Target Tactics for Sporting Clays”. He writes for all of the major shotgun magazines as well as a weekly e-column titled “Ask the Instructor”.
He started shooting competitively at age eight, bird hunting at age fourteen, coaching in the shooting sports as a sixteen-year-old apprentice and was a US Army Infantry School and Ranger School Instructor at Ft. Benning, Georgia. Currie spent seven years in the military followed by 22 years in senior corporate leadership positions culminating in his role as CEO of a consumer products company. Throughout his military and business career, he maintained a deep and unrelenting passion for competing in the shooting sports, coaching, and upland bird and waterfowl hunting and was eventually drawn back to the shooting sports. Currie earned his way to Master Class on the NSCA competition circuit and won a National Championship title in side-by-side shotgun. Currie was the general manger of an exclusive shooting and hunting preserve in North Florida where he established an Orvis Wingshooting and Fly fishing School. In 2014, he was appointed Chief Instructor of the NSCA and now devotes most of his time to teaching, coaching and writing. As Chief Instructor, Currie teaches and mentors other sporting clays instructors and administers the shotgun instructor program in North America. Through his Academy of Wing & Clay Shooting, Currie continues to provide private and group shotgun instruction, gun fitting, shotgun sales, course design and guide services. He lives in Lake Mary, Florida with his wife and family. For more information, visit www.DonCurrie.com.
His qualifications include:
- Chief Instructor, NSCA (National Sporting Clays Association) (2014 – present)
- Professional, Full-time Shotgun Coach – Specializing in clay target sports (Sporting Clays, Skeet, Trap) and upland bird hunting
- Master Gun Fitter – partnering with select manufacturers and stock-makers to create custom fitted shotguns for discerning clients
- 2011 National Champion in Side-by-Side Shotgun
- 2012 Florida State Champion in Side-by-Side Shotgun
- Master Class NSCA Competitor
- Certified Level III NSCA Instructor (National Sporting Clays Association)
- Fellow, Association of Professional Shooting Instructors (FAPSI), UK
- Member of the Institute of Clay Shooting Instructors (MICSI), UK
- Author of Mastering Sporting Clays (Stackpole Books)
- Co-Producer of two instructional DVDs: Focus-Movement-Faith and Target Tactics for Sporting Clays
- Writer and columnist for ClayShooting USA and Clay Target Nation (formerly Sporting Clays Magazine)
- Certified NRA Instructor: Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol and NRA Range Safety Officer
- Orvis® Wingshooting School Instructor
- Orvis® Fly Fishing School Instructor
- Former General Manager of the Gilchrist Club, an exclusive 27,000 acre upland hunting resort
- Experienced guide and avid upland bird hunter
- Instructor, US Army Infantry and Ranger Schools (Fort Benning, Georgia) – Instructor of marksmanship, weapons and tactics